How to make a comforting leek and potato soup
Leek and potato soup is such a simple yet tasty and warming winter meal. There really is no going wrong with this dish, served with some golden toasted bread and even a few pieces of crispy bacon sprinkled on top, it's sure to become one of your soupy favourites.
- 4 large leeks
- 1 medium onion, chopped small
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 clove of garlic thinly sliced (optional)
- 50g butter
- 850ml vegetable stock
- 275 ml milk
- salt and freshly milled red & black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cream or crème fraiche
- some snipped fresh chives or chopped fresh parsley
- Begin by trimming the leeks, discarding the tough outer layer.
- Now split them in half lengthways and slice them quite finely, then wash them thoroughly in two or three changes of water. Drain well. In a large, thick-based saucepan, gently melt the butter, then add the leeks, onions, garlic and potatoes, stirring them all round with a wooden spoon so they get a nice coating of butter. Season with salt and pepper, then cover and let the vegetables sweat over a very low heat for about 15 minutes.
- After that, add the stock and milk, bring to simmering point, cover and let the soup simmer very gently for a further 20 minutes or until the vegetables are soft – if you have the heat too high the milk in it may cause it to boil over.
- Now you can put the whole lot into a blender or blend directly in the pan with a hand blender - be sure to leave it to cool a little first – and blend to a purée. If you have to blend the soup in batches, make sure you have a bowl to hand to put the first batch into. Now return the soup to the saucepan and reheat gently, tasting to check the seasoning. Add a swirl of cream or crème fraîche before serving and sprinkle with freshly snipped chives or parsley.
Using the Carrera blender
The Carrera blender is no ordinary blender, it is also an amazing soup maker, that can automatically cook, heat and blend your soup to the perfect consistency. And when it's done it will bleep to let you know and then keep your soup warm too.
About the Carrera blender
The Carrera blender is your perfect secret helper in the kitchen. At up to 20,000 rpm it is perfect for a cooling summer smoothie or a heart warming creamy winter soup. With its unrivalled footprint to power ratio it is the perfect tool for your countertop, giving you the ability to mix, crush, steam and even cook the perfect meal with just the touch of a button.
1,500 watts of soup blending power at your fingertips!
When it comes to super-foods, nothing beats a vitamin filled soup. The Carrera blender not only has automatic presets for smooth or chunky but it can also heat your soup to the perfect temperature in just a few minutes.
All on one dial
The designers at Carrera didn't just concentrate on their blender's astonishing good looks and outstanding performance, they also made sure that, unlike other blenders, all the controls are clear, simple, intuitive and available on one easy to use dial. All you need to do is hit the start button and relax while the Carrera blender does the rest. Or switch to manual control and set the time, speed and cooking temperature yourself and get creative.
Less hassle, more vitamins
Nowadays taking the healthy option isn't just for top athletes and relying on fussy to make shop-bought protein shakes can be a real hassle. With the Carrera blender you can make the perfect vitamin filled power shake in seconds and steam organic vegetables without boiling away all the vitamins, ensuring that your chosen healthy ingredients remain healthy from the farmers market to the fork.
A blender that cooks pasta? It's a kind of magic!
When it comes to having a few tricks up its sleeve, the Carrera blender is the perfect culinary magician's assistant. You've already relaxed with a cool drink, made a healthy smoothie and tucked into a hearty soup, so what's next? guess it's time to make a delicious pasta meal appear... Ta-dah!
Tap the button below for more details and to shop for the Carrera Blender